Veteran offensive lineman Jermon Bushrod wasn't out of work for long. The Saints re-signed him Wednesday after releasing him on Saturday. They released another veteran offensive lineman, Michael Ola, to make room. Bushrod told reporters Thursday that he was released in part because he had to miss two days of practice last week because of a personal matter that he preferred to keep private.
"I just get another opportunity at the end of the day," he said. "And we get another opportunity to go and do what we got to do."
Bushrod was released by the Saints on Saturday (Sept. 8), before New Orleans' 48-40 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, in order to create a roster spot for running back Jonathan Williams, who was elevated from the team's practice squad.
Bushrod said he understood the Saints' decision, as he missed a couple practices for personal reasons leading up to the opener.
"Obviously, I wasn't here for a couple days last week so me being ready to go for the game wasn't in the plan," Bushrod said. Bushrod would have loved to be in uniform for the opener.
"You never want to see your guys go out there and not be able to get the W," Bushrod said. "You always want to be a part of the good times and the bad times." Bushrod is expected to suit up this weekend when the Saints host the Cleveland Browns in the Mercedes-Benz Superdome on Sunday at noon.